Why I Won't Downsize, Even Though You're Half Right

Why I Won't Downsize, Even Though You're Half Right

You've decided we broke it.

Fine.

Let's talk.

The complaint is familiar by now. People my age are sitting in houses too large for us, with bedrooms that mostly store boxes, while younger people are locked out of homes they can actually afford. Too many square feet attached to too few people, and a queue outside that cannot get near the door.

The uncomfortable thing is that I cannot honestly say you're wrong.

Not entirely.

A house with three empty bedrooms and two people rattling around it is not just a private preference. It has consequences. I spent enough years reading gauges for a living to know an obstruction when I see one. Sometimes a vessel sits exactly where it should not, for reasons that make complete sense to the people aboard and no sense at all to the people trying to get past.

That is the shape of this argument.

But here is where the tidy version begins to fall apart. Downsizing sounds sensible from the outside. Sell the big house, buy something smaller, release the equity, let another family move in. Everybody wins, at least on the graph.

From inside the house, it feels less like a rational adjustment and more like dismantling forty years of evidence that a life happened somewhere.

That spare bedroom may look like wasted space. Sometimes it is. But it is also where the Christmas decorations went, where the children slept, where the boxes from the last move were put down because nobody had the heart to sort them. It is not noble, exactly. But it is human, which is the thing policy arguments keep tripping over.

I do not think most of us are refusing to move out of malice. I think we are doing what people often do when life changes faster than their courage does. We find a private reason, call it practical, and let somebody else's decade rearrange itself around our reluctance.

That does not get us off the hook. It just names the hook properly.

The inheritance argument is no cleaner. "You'll get it eventually" is supposed to settle the matter, but eventually is doing a great deal of work. Money that arrives after the years it was needed is not the same thing as help. A house cannot be both the thing blocking your future and the thing that will one day rescue it without someone noticing the absurdity.

So where does that leave us?

Nowhere tidy. You are right that too many of us are sitting on more space than we use. I am right that a house is not just an asset with a roof on it. Both things can be true, which is inconvenient for everyone and therefore probably closer to reality.

I still have not sold the house. I have done the sums. I know the argument. And every time I get as far as the spare room, I stop.

Not because I have a brilliant justification.

Because I suspect I do not.

The full original essay is on Substack, which remains the main home for this piece:

https://theoldgreythinker.substack.com/p/why-i-wont-downsize-even-though-youre

If you want more Old Grey Thinker guides, the library is here:

https://greythinker.gumroad.com/

And if you'd simply like to support the writing, tea remains the official fuel source:

http://buymeacoffee.com/theoldgreythinker

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Become That Person Who Talks to Strangers—And It's Brilliant

I Can Read the Weather Off Water Nobody Sails On

My Grandad Was Absolutely Certain He Was Andy Capp