I've Become That Person Who Talks to Strangers—And It's Brilliant

 



I was standing in the queue at Sainsbury’s last Tuesday when I did something so profoundly out of character that I briefly considered abandoning my shopping and starting a new life under a different name.

The woman in front of me had chosen the exact same ready meal I’d just put in my basket.

Chicken tikka masala.
Green label.
The one you can trust not to ruin your evening.

Without thinking — without even a rehearsal run in my head — I said out loud:

“Good choice. That’s the best one.”

I did not whisper.
 I did not mutter it into my sleeve.
 I did not pretend I was talking to the chicken.

I said it to her.

This is the sort of thing that, historically, should trigger a national emergency. A sharp intake of breath. Possibly a letter to the council.

She turned slowly, as people do when they’re deciding whether this interaction will end in a mild apology or a police statement.

Then she smiled.

Not a polite smile. Not the tight, apologetic British half-smile. A full one. The sort that rearranges your face and slightly improves the lighting.

Four minutes later we were deep into a serious discussion about supermarket curries, whether the korma has been quietly sabotaged, and how her daughter is “being very strict about carbs” ahead of her wedding, which apparently now involves negotiations with rice.

When we parted, I felt oddly buoyant. Lighter. As though I’d swallowed a small, illegal happiness pill.

And my immediate reaction was not joy.

It was suspicion.

When did this happen?

When did I become this man?

The man who comments on ready meals.
 The man who speaks first.
 The man who apparently has opinions and is no longer afraid to deploy them in public.

I spent the first sixty years of my life perfecting the art of British non-engagement. I was very good at it. World-class, even. I could stand in lifts without acknowledging another human being’s existence. I could share a bus stop with someone for forty minutes and leave without knowing their gender, mood, or whether they were on fire.

This, I believed, was politeness.

It turns out it was a defensive system.

Because somewhere in the last few years — quietly, without a meeting or a vote — that system collapsed. And now I find myself chatting to strangers like a man who has nothing left to lose and very little to rush for.

Which, disturbingly, may be accurate.

Retirement does strange things to a person. It removes urgency. Not gradually. Brutally. One day you are needed everywhere. The next, you are choosing yoghurt based on vibes.

For decades, my days had structure and hierarchy. Conversations had purpose. If someone spoke to you, it was because something needed to happen. Small talk was merely the holding pattern before something important landed.

Then suddenly, nothing needed to happen.

And when nothing needs to happen, you notice things.

You notice people. Their faces. Their little private battles. The way half the population appears to be locked in a permanent feud with ticket machines, payment terminals, and doors that absolutely refuse to open unless approached with the correct emotional posture.

The first real crack in my old rules happened at a car park payment machine.

A young bloke was standing there, utterly defeated. Not mildly irritated. Properly beaten. The sort of posture you see in old war photographs.

The machine had rejected his registration. His payment. Possibly his right to exist.

I watched for a moment, as British law requires, then heard myself say:

“They only work if you pretend not to care.”

He turned to me like I’d just descended from the clouds with stone tablets.

I suggested removing the space from the registration. The machine instantly complied, like a sulky dog suddenly deciding it knows your name after all.

He laughed. I laughed. We shared a brief, sacred bond formed entirely through mutual hatred of badly designed objects.

And again, that feeling. That fizz. That sense that something small but oddly important had happened.

Beyond this point, something slightly uncomfortable began to dawn on me.

The world I thought I’d been protecting myself from wasn’t dangerous at all.

The danger was the one I’d built myself.

A perfectly polite prison.

For years, I’d moved through public spaces like a ghost. Courteous. Invisible. Technically very dignified. I could go entire days without a single unscripted human exchange and consider that a success.

But there’s a cost to that.

You start to thin out. To calcify. To mistake isolation for independence. You preserve your privacy beautifully while quietly starving a part of yourself you didn’t even know was hungry.

What I’ve discovered — much to my irritation — is that most people are quietly desperate for these small, pointless exchanges.

The man at the bus stop telling you about his grandson isn’t boring you. He’s relieved someone didn’t immediately look at their phone.

The woman showing photos of her toddler isn’t oversharing. She’s checking whether the world is still listening.

And the stranger who agrees with you about chicken tikka masala? They’ve just been handed a moment of recognition in an otherwise beige day.

There’s a particular freedom in these encounters.

The person you talk to in a queue doesn’t know your history. They don’t know your regrets, your abandoned hobbies, or the thing you bought online at 2am that you were absolutely convinced would change your life and now lives in a cupboard.

There’s nothing to maintain. Nothing to perform. Nothing at stake.

You meet. You connect. You move on.

It’s connection without consequence, and that turns out to be quietly glorious.

I am not suggesting I’ve become some sort of roaming conversationalist, prowling supermarket aisles and offering unsolicited opinions on yoghurt. I still have standards. I still respect headphones. I still recognise the universal signal of “please don’t speak to me or I will scream.”

But I have learned that most apparent British standoffishness isn’t hostility.

It’s fear.

The same fear I carried for decades. Fear of awkwardness. Fear of rejection. Fear of looking foolish. Fear of being mistaken for someone who might, heaven forbid, be lonely.

Here’s the liberating thing about being sixty-seven: you finally realise that you’ve already looked foolish so many times that one more instance makes absolutely no difference. And you notice that everyone else is far too busy managing their own internal chaos to judge yours.

What surprises me most is how little it takes.

A shared irritation with a machine.
 A comment about the weather that doesn’t pretend to be about the weather.
 A small, genuine compliment that doesn’t demand a response.

Offer a tiny opening and, astonishingly often, something human slips through.

So yes. I have become that man.

The one who talks to strangers.
 The one who comments on ready meals.
 The one my younger self would have described as “having lost it.”

And I can report — reluctantly — that it’s brilliant.

Because in a world that feels increasingly automated, hurried, and vaguely hostile, these ridiculous little moments are how we remember something vital.

That we are seen.
 That we are not invisible.
 That we still belong to one another.

And that sometimes, on a grey Tuesday morning, a shared opinion about chicken tikka masala is enough to make the day better.

If you found value in this piece, I invite you to join The Old Grey Thinker newsletter — where I explore the hidden psychology of modern life and the art of staying curious.

For those who want to go deeper, I've created extended guides and resources at my Gumroad page — practical tools for thinking and creating in our fast-paced world.

If the writing helped, some readers buy me a Pot of Yorkshire Tea. I’m English and run my days on tea. It’s one of the ways I keep this work independent. I appreciate every kindness — truly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Can Read the Weather Off Water Nobody Sails On

My Grandad Was Absolutely Certain He Was Andy Capp