The Headcount You Start Doing Without Deciding To

The Headcount You Start Doing Without Deciding To

There's a specific moment at any long enough social gathering when you can do a headcount without meaning to. Not of people. Of pairs. I've started doing it without deciding to, at golf club dinners and christenings and the sort of retirement do where somebody gets a card signed by forty people who mostly didn't know them terribly well, and lately the count keeps coming up oddly one-sided, in a way it didn't used to.

I mentioned this to someone recently and they said, not unkindly, that I'd simply reached the age where people start noticing that sort of thing, as though it were a hearing aid I'd finally agreed to wear. I don't think that's it, or not entirely. I think the actual number has shifted, and I think the reason it's shifted is duller and more structural than anyone standing by the vol-au-vents particularly wants to discuss, which is roughly: money, time, and the sudden absence of anyone left to disapprove.

I did a stretch as a detective once, long before any of this, and the one transferable skill from that job that's never once stopped being useful is watching what people do with their hands while they explain something they'd rather not explain properly. I watched a couple at a trade show recently doing precisely this over what was obviously a joint purchase, insisting to a very patient salesman that they'd "always dreamed of doing it separately, actually, much more sensible," in the specific unified tone of two people who have very recently and very thoroughly stopped agreeing on anything else. Nobody has ever dreamed of doing anything separately. It is not a category of dream that exists. It was, transparently, two people trying to divide something without using the actual word for what they were dividing.

My tea-spitting moment on all this came from a figure I read rather than anything I witnessed directly: a survey putting the number of later-life splits at somewhere approaching half, once you count the couples who simply stopped being couples without ever making the formal announcement to anyone outside the immediate family. Half. That's not an outlier. That's most of a room, statistically, once you actually run the numbers on any gathering large enough to matter.

What nobody quite prepares you for, watching from just outside it, is how invisible the actual moment is. There's no single visible event to point to. The house goes up for sale eventually, sold off with a strange determined cheerfulness, as though offloading something that quietly stopped working years before anyone said so out loud. Nobody arrives at the function looking freshly wounded. They just arrive alone, and then they keep arriving alone, until one day you realise you've stopped doing the headcount because the answer's simply become the ordinary shape of the room.

I don't have anything tidy to say about what causes it, because I suspect it's different every time, dressed up afterward in whichever explanation is easiest to say out loud at a christening. What I keep noticing is the timing. Not early. Not right at the very end either. Squarely in the stretch where the obligations finally loosen and there's suddenly enough room to see the other person clearly, for what might be the first time in decades. Nobody at the trade show mentioned any of that. They just wanted separate brochures for what was, by any honest reading, one caravan.

The longer, less tidy version of this — including the exact moment I clocked what the caravan couple were actually doing — is up at The Old Grey Thinker on Substack: https://theoldgreythinker.substack.com/p/start-here

Want something more practical?

I’ve created a collection of guides for people who still believe life isn’t over just because the calendar says so. You’ll find them here:

https://greythinker.gumroad.com/

Tea remains the official fuel source of The Old Grey Thinker.

And if you’d simply like to support the writing, some readers buy me a

http://buymeacoffee.com/theoldgreythinker

It’s not mandatory. But neither is keeping the lights on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Become That Person Who Talks to Strangers—And It's Brilliant

I Can Read the Weather Off Water Nobody Sails On

My Grandad Was Absolutely Certain He Was Andy Capp