The Day Does Not Know You Retired
The first thing nobody tells you about retirement is that the morning still turns up.
The sun does not ask whether you still have a job. The kettle does not check your usefulness before boiling. The clock on the kitchen wall carries on with the same dull authority it had when you were rushing out of the house.
But once work stops needing you, the morning feels different.
I remember coming downstairs early because that is what decades of work had trained me to do. There was no alarm. No appointment. No urgent message waiting. Still, I moved as if the day had a set of instructions and I had somehow misplaced them.
That was the shock.
The day had none.
Retirement is sold as freedom from the clock. Nobody says how much of your identity has been shaped by it. Work gives a day structure. It gives your experience somewhere to go. It gives you proof that your judgement is still required.
Then it ends, and everyone asks if you are enjoying yourself.
The answer we learn to give is: "Keeping busy."
It is a useful phrase. It reassures people. It suggests you are not drifting too badly. It covers gardening, errands, walks, reading, volunteering, and the occasional unnecessary trip to a shop for something you could easily have bought yesterday.
But keeping busy is not the same as feeling present.
The quiet difficulty of retirement is not always boredom. It is the loss of being expected. A person can be grateful for free time and still find it heavy. You can be relieved the pressure has gone and still miss the shape it gave you.
I used to hurry when there was no need. I would get annoyed at slow walkers, then remember I was not late for anything. There is no dignified way to realise you are overtaking pensioners while technically being one.
That is the old working life still running in the body.
Work trains us to treat urgency as meaning. Even rest becomes something we do in order to return stronger, sharper, more productive. Then retirement arrives and asks a different question:
What are you recharging for?
I do not think the answer is to fill every hour. Nor is it to invent a new job and call it purpose. The answer may begin with something smaller: admitting that free time can be difficult without being a disaster.
The better question is not, "How do I keep busy?"
It is, "What kind of day still makes me feel alive to my own life?"
That question changes over time. Some days it is writing. Some days it is walking. Some days it is making tea and allowing the world to continue without needing to manage it.
The morning still arrives.
Perhaps the work after work is learning that arrival is not the same as instruction.
http://theoldgreythinker.substack.com
Comments
Post a Comment