Nobody Told Me Retirement Would Be This Quietly Wonderful

Quiet retirement morning

I have written plenty about what retirement takes away. The title. The phone calls. The reason to be somewhere by nine. Tuesday with no use for me. Silence with acoustics.

All true.

But there is another thing I have had to admit, and it is less tidy than the usual retirement complaint.

Some mornings are quietly wonderful.

Not dramatic. Not brochure-worthy. Not the version with the smiling couple, the beach, or the suspiciously clean jumper. Just an ordinary morning where nobody wants anything from me before lunch.

No decision. No opinion. No problem waiting for my name to be attached to it.

And I like it.

That is the bit nobody prepares you for. We talk about the loss because the loss arrives loudly. The job title goes. The old usefulness goes. The witnesses go. You can feel those things leaving the room.

But once they have gone, something else is left behind.

There is the relief of not having to manufacture certainty for every meeting. There is the pleasure of letting a day remain blank without immediately trying to make it productive. There is the small freedom of discovering that not being needed can sometimes feel less like rejection and more like air.

I am not making a grand claim for wisdom. I still have bad weeks. Some silences are too big. Some empty afternoons feel less like freedom and more like a test nobody explained.

But the good days have a pattern. They are the days I stop auditioning.

No proving the years were worth something. No performing usefulness for an audience that has already left. No carrying around the old version of myself and asking strangers to admire the weight.

Just a man in a chair, with tea going cold at a dignified pace, past the age where anyone needs him to be impressive before breakfast.

Nobody told me retirement would contain this. Perhaps because it does not sell very well. You cannot photograph the absence of a phone call. You cannot put "not being asked for an urgent opinion" on a pension leaflet and expect anyone to frame it as luxury.

But some mornings, it is.

The full original article is on The Old Grey Thinker:

https://theoldgreythinker.substack.com/p/nobody-told-me-retirement-would-be-cb1

If it made you laugh, nod, mutter "unfortunately yes," or stare into the middle distance for a worrying length of time, you can support the work here:

Subscribe to The Old Grey Thinker:
https://theoldgreythinker.substack.com/subscribe

Buy me a tea:
https://buymeacoffee.com/theoldgreythinker

The Second Act Playbook:
https://greythinker.gumroad.com/l/yztcbh

The Creator Library:
https://greythinker.gumroad.com/l/xkrbqn

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm 67, I Worked for Forty-Six Years, and Apparently Workers' Day Has Nothing to Do With Me Anymore

I Spent Forty Minutes Proving to a Machine That I Was Still Alive

I've Become That Person Who Talks to Strangers—And It's Brilliant