I’m 68 and the Retirement Lie Hasn’t Gone Away
A one-year-on update to one of the most-read pieces I’ve written. I’m publishing it as an extra because the subject feels more urgent now, not less.
Almost a year ago, I wrote I’m 67 and Just Realized I’ve Been Lied To About Retirement.
It reached far more people than I expected (98,000) , not because I’d discovered something brilliant, but because I’d said something many people were already feeling in private.
I was 67 then. Or perhaps more accurately, I was six months into the strange fog that arrives when the working world stops asking for your opinion and expects you to be grateful for the silence.
Retirement, as we were sold it, does not fit the lives we are actually living.
So nearly a year later, the obvious question is this:
Has anything changed?
The short answer is yes.
The more honest answer is that some things have changed for the better, and the lie itself has got worse.
The Lie Has Become More Obvious
The old retirement story was simple enough to fit on a brochure.
Work hard. Retire. Relax. Be grateful. Fade politely into the background while younger people get on with the serious business of the world.
It was always a thin story. Now it looks ridiculous.
We are not living three quiet years after a lifetime of work. Many of us are looking at twenty, thirty, even forty years after the old finish line. That is not a closing scene. That is a whole extra chapter, and quite possibly the most interesting one if we do not let other people write it for us.
But the systems around us have not caught up.
Pensions still talk as if retirement is a tidy financial event. Healthcare still treats ageing too often as decline management. Employers still speak warmly about experience while quietly filtering it out. Technology companies still pretend they are building for “everyone” while designing almost everything around the reflexes, eyesight, patience and insecurities of a 29-year-old.
The world has noticed we are living longer.
It has not yet decided we might still be useful.
That is the part that has got worse.
We Are More Visible as a Market Than as People
Here is the odd thing.
The over-fifties are no longer invisible when money is involved.
The phrase “longevity economy” is everywhere now. Consultancies, investors, marketers and policy people have discovered that older adults control an enormous share of spending. The numbers are no longer small enough to ignore. Depending on which report you read, older consumers represent trillions in economic activity, and people over 60 already command a vast slice of global consumer spending.
So yes, the market has noticed us.
But there is a difference between being noticed and being understood.
Too much of the conversation still treats older people as a problem to be managed, a wallet to be harvested, or a demographic trend to be packaged into a slide deck.
We are called consumers, patients, retirees, pensioners, dependants, empty nesters, silver surfers and, occasionally, “active seniors,” which sounds like something invented by someone who has never had a proper conversation with one.
What we are rarely called is what many of us still are:
builders, thinkers, teachers, founders, writers, engineers, carers, mentors, experimenters, citizens, and people with unfinished business.
That distinction matters.
Because if you see us only as consumers, you sell us things.
If you see us as contributors, you build a different society.
The Patronising Problem Is Still Here
I hoped, perhaps naively, that the technology world might improve quickly.
It has improved a little.
There are better tools now. More older people are using AI, newsletters, podcasts, online courses, video calls and digital communities with confidence. I know people who would once have said “I’m too old for all that” who are now using AI to write memoirs, build small businesses, learn languages, research family history, organise campaigns, and make sense of complicated health information before seeing a doctor.
That is not nothing.
But the patronising design has not gone away.
Too many products for older people still look as if they were built by a committee whose only research method was “ask someone’s nan.” Big buttons, beige screens, fake cheerfulness, and copy that sounds as though it is speaking to a confused Labrador.
The problem was never that older people needed everything dumbed down.
The problem was that everyone needed better design.
Clearer interfaces. Less noise. Fewer dark patterns. Less manipulation. More respect for attention, privacy, eyesight, patience, dignity and time.
That is not “senior design.”
That is good design.
And here is the bit the industry still does not seem to understand: the generation now entering later life is not technologically primitive. We lived through the arrival of personal computers, the internet, mobile phones, email, online banking, digital photography, social media, streaming, smartphones and now AI.
We are not afraid of change.
We are tired of being treated as if change began five minutes ago in a meeting room full of people wearing expensive trainers.
AI Has Changed the Equation
This is the biggest change since I wrote the original piece.
AI has moved from novelty to infrastructure.
A year ago, many people were still treating it as a parlour trick. Make me a poem. Summarise this. Write me a silly song about my dog. Fine. Harmless enough.
Now it is becoming something else.
It is a lever.
And for older people, it may be the most important lever we have been handed in decades.
Not because AI knows more than experience. It does not.
AI without experience often produces confident mush. It can sound impressive while missing the point completely. It can polish nonsense until it looks respectable. It can help a fool move faster in the wrong direction.
But AI plus experience is different.
A retired teacher can turn forty years of classroom wisdom into courses, guides and tutoring materials. A former nurse can explain the healthcare system in plain English. A manager who has survived every corporate fashion since fax machines can help younger founders avoid obvious mistakes. A scientist, solicitor, engineer, designer, accountant, social worker or parent can take what they know and make it accessible.
That used to require a publisher, a production team, a budget, a network, or a frightening amount of technical confidence.
Now it often requires curiosity, judgment and the willingness to begin badly.
That is a profound shift.
It does not solve everything. It does not pay the heating bill by magic. It does not remove ageism, loneliness, poor health, pension anxiety or the quiet panic of wondering whether your best years are being administratively filed away.
But it changes what is possible from a spare room.
And possibility matters.
What Has Got Worse
The economics have got worse for many people.
That is the part polite retirement articles still avoid.
It is one thing to talk about second acts when you have a generous pension, a paid-off house and the luxury of choosing interesting projects.
It is another when retirement means rent, rising bills, adult children who still need help, health appointments, caring responsibilities, insecure savings, and a state pension that was never designed to carry a full modern life.
We should be honest about this.
Some people are not “choosing” to keep working. They are being forced to.
Some are not starting businesses because they feel entrepreneurial. They are trying to patch the holes in a system that told them everything would be fine if they played by the rules.
That makes the retirement lie more cruel than I understood a year ago.
Because the lie has two halves.
The first says: you will stop being useful.
The second says: do not worry, you will be comfortable while it happens.
For too many people, both halves are false.
They are still useful.
And they are not comfortable.
What Has Got Better
People are talking.
That sounds small, but it is not.
When I wrote the original piece, I thought I was admitting something slightly embarrassing. That retirement had not made me peaceful. That I was restless. That I still wanted to matter. That I was not ready to become a pleasant background character in my own life.
Then the comments came in.
Thousands of them.
People saying: yes, this is me.
People saying they had retired and felt erased.
People saying they had not retired because they were terrified of disappearing.
People saying they were learning AI at 72, starting podcasts at 66, writing books at 81, building communities at 59, returning to study, changing careers, caring for partners, grieving old identities and trying to invent new ones without a map.
That changed me.
Not because it made me feel popular. Popularity is mostly noise with better lighting.
It changed me because I realised this was not a private wobble. It was a social transition.
Millions of people are reaching the old retirement age with their minds still alive, their skills still sharp, and their appetite for contribution still intact.
They are not having a crisis.
They are encountering a broken model.
The Question Is No Longer “What Will You Do With Your Retirement?”
I have come to dislike that question.
It is too small.
It makes retirement sound like a leisure problem. As if the main challenge is choosing between gardening, cruises, bowls, and annoying the family with too many WhatsApp messages.
A better question is:
What will you do with your accumulated life?
That is a different matter.
Your judgement. Your mistakes. Your tradecraft. Your stories. Your contacts. Your grief. Your humour. Your ability to spot nonsense early. Your patience with complexity. Your impatience with management jargon. Your understanding of what people are really like when the spreadsheet stops pretending.
That is not waste material.
That is raw material.
The work of later life is not simply to stay busy.
It is to turn experience into usefulness.
So, Has It Got Worse?
Yes, in some ways.
The systems still lag behind the lives people are living. Ageism has not vanished. The labour market still discards experience too casually. The technology world still patronises too often. Retirement is becoming more financially fragile for many people. And the speed of AI means that those who are already excluded risk being pushed even further to the edge.
But no, not entirely.
Because more people are awake to it now.
More people are refusing the old script. More people are learning the tools. More people are saying, publicly and without apology, that they are not done.
I feel less alone than I did a year ago.
I also feel less patient.
That may be the real change.
At 67, I was surprised to discover I had been lied to.
At 68, I am less surprised and more interested in what we do about it.
The next stage is not simply proving that older people still matter. We know that already.
The next stage is building the habits, tools, communities and small economic engines that let people keep contributing without asking permission from institutions that have already misread them.
Write the thing.
Teach the thing.
Record the thing.
Build the thing.
Start badly if necessary. Most worthwhile things do.
Retirement was sold to us as an ending.
It is beginning to look more like a test.
Not of whether we can stay young. That is a fool’s errand.
The test is whether we can stay useful, curious, connected and brave in a society that keeps trying to confuse age with disappearance.
I still do not know exactly what comes next.
But I know this: I am not fading quietly.
And judging by the messages I have had over the last year, neither are you.
I write more about this at http://theoldgreythinker.substack.com
Want something more practical?
I’ve created a collection of guides for people who still believe life isn’t over just because the calendar says so. You’ll find them here:
Tea remains the official fuel source of The Old Grey Thinker.
And if you’d simply like to support the writing, some readers buy me a pot of Yorkshire Tea.
It’s not mandatory. But neither is keeping the lights on.
Comments
Post a Comment