I'm 68 and Just Worked Out What They Actually Did to My Pension

Read the original on The Old Grey Thinker:

https://theoldgreythinker.substack.com/p/im-68-and-just-worked-out-what-they


For forty years I paid in.


That is the sentence pension systems are built to admire. It sounds dutiful. It sounds responsible. It sounds like a man keeping his end of the arrangement and expecting the arrangement, in its turn, to keep its end of him.


Then you sit at the kitchen table with a calculator, a mug going cold, and a letter that uses very calm language while quietly failing to mention the roof, the heating bill, the standing charges, the dentist, the car, and the small domestic catastrophes that do not consult your retirement plan before arriving.


The number on the page is not the number you live on.


That is the part I had not properly understood.


Nobody Ran the Numbers


Nobody tells you the humiliation is not only about being short of money.


It is the mental arithmetic at the till. It is the little joke you make about being "careful in my old age" so nobody notices you have already priced the basket twice. It is the discovery that after decades of being the person who solved things, you are now quietly negotiating with a second cup, a winter bill, or an envelope that has arrived looking innocent.


The pension letter is polite. That is almost the trouble with it. It does not burst in shouting. It arrives once a year and suggests, in the softest possible voice, that everything is broadly under control.


Broadly is doing a lot of work there.


The old bargain belonged to a shorter life. Work, save, stop, draw the pension for a handful of years, and do not ask too many awkward questions in the middle. But many of us did not have the decency to expire on schedule. We kept going. Our bodies outlasted the paperwork. Our houses kept needing repairs. The bills kept understanding inflation better than the pension did.


So there you are, older than the assumptions, trying to make the arithmetic behave.


This is not financial advice. I would not inflict that on anyone. It is something less tidy and more familiar: the moment a man realises he did what he was told and still has to sit in the quiet with the sums.


There is anger in that. There is comedy too, because there is always comedy in a retired man glaring at a calculator as if it has personally betrayed him. But underneath both is a more awkward question.


What does security mean when the promise was made in one world and collected in another?


The full piece is on The Old Grey Thinker:

https://theoldgreythinker.substack.com/p/im-68-and-just-worked-out-what-they


---


This, unbelievably, is not backed by a gleaming media empire, a glass office, or a man called Hugo in brand partnerships. It is one old grey thinker, several unreasonable opinions, and enough Yorkshire Tea to refloat a modest ferry.


So if this piece made you laugh, mutter "that's true," or stare into the middle distance like a pensioner who has just discovered the price of printer ink, do the decent thing.


Take out an annual subscription to The Old Grey Thinker:

https://theoldgreythinker.substack.com/subscribe?plan=price_1TzLqMElT6g5NEjrDiJbG2kG


Read another piece on Medium:

https://oldgreythinker.medium.com/


Buy me a tea:

https://buymeacoffee.com/theoldgreythinker


Or pick up The Second Act Playbook:

https://greythinker.gumroad.com/l/yztcbh


Or The Creator Library:

https://greythinker.gumroad.com/l/xkrbqn


It will not bankrupt you.


It may even improve your character.


And frankly, given the heroic public service I am performing by being this wise, this underfunded, and this magnificently cool, I think we can all agree I deserve it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm 67, I Worked for Forty-Six Years, and Apparently Workers' Day Has Nothing to Do With Me Anymore

I Spent Forty Minutes Proving to a Machine That I Was Still Alive

I've Become That Person Who Talks to Strangers—And It's Brilliant