I Know Exactly How to Fix This. Nobody Has Asked.

There is a junction near the harbour where the traffic has been managed badly for years. I know what is wrong with it. I could explain the solution quickly, with a beer mat and a pen, and at the end of it you would probably agree with me.
Nobody has asked.
This is one of the odd discoveries of retirement. The work ends, but the habit of seeing does not. The competence is still there, alert and faintly annoyed, looking for somewhere respectable to stand.
At work, being useful came with a steady rhythm of questions. What do you think? Can you look at this? How would you handle it? You might complain about the interruption, but the interruption also told you something. It told you your judgement still belonged in the room.
When that stops, the silence can be bigger than expected.
The whole thing can turn comic if you look at it sideways. A retired man can apply forty years of judgement to a dishwasher, a car park sign, or the design of a supermarket queue. But underneath the comedy is a real ache. The world has not necessarily rejected you. It has simply stopped needing you in the old official way.
That is a difficult truth to carry without becoming tedious.
The full version of this essay is on Substack, where I write about retirement, ageing, usefulness, and the strange business of still being capable after the summons stops.
Read the full piece here:
https://theoldgreythinker.substack.com/p/i-know-exactly-how-to-fix-this-nobody-53c?r=5dz1gi&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&showWelcomeOnShare=true
Comments
Post a Comment