Hold Music Is the Most Honest Thing Any Government Has Ever Produced

I have decided that hold music is the single most honest piece of communication produced by any government or bank anywhere in the world, and I mean that as a serious complaint rather than a compliment. Nobody drafts hold music through a committee worried about how it'll read in the press. Nobody focus-groups it. It simply plays, endlessly, telling you the actual unvarnished truth about how much anyone currently cares that you're waiting, which is to say: somewhat, but not urgently, and definitely not enough to hire a second person to answer the phone.
I've become something of a connoisseur lately, entirely against my will. There's the mournful orchestral variety, string section rising toward a crescendo it will not be permitted to reach, looping every forty seconds like a joke that's forgotten its own punchline. There's the chirpier commercial sort, the kind that sounds composed for a supermarket in roughly 1987, which I've decided to interpret as either a deliberate attempt to soothe or an active act of psychological warfare, depending entirely on how the call eventually goes.
What nobody in these organisations seems to grasp, or perhaps grasps perfectly and simply doesn't care, is that the countdown timer is doing more damage to public trust than almost anything the actual policy could manage on its own. Mine recently started at "approximately four minutes," which I timed properly, out of bloody-minded professional habit, having spent a career where an inaccurate estimate could sink something rather more expensive than a phone call. Four minutes became six. Six became, at one memorable point, four again, as though the whole system had simply given up pretending the number meant anything and decided instead to see if I'd notice. I did notice. I have kept notes.
Here's my proper tea-spitting observation on the whole business, delivered with the confidence of a man who has now logged more hours on hold than most people spend on an actual holiday: the estimate isn't wrong by accident. Nobody builds an automated countdown this consistently, uniformly optimistic without someone, somewhere, deciding that a hopeful lie is more soothing than an honest one. I'd take the honest one. Tell me forty minutes and let me put the kettle on properly, rather than keeping me hovering by the phone in four-minute increments like a man waiting for a kettle that's already told him three separate times it's nearly boiled.
I've started treating the whole exercise as a kind of unpaid research project, on the theory that if I'm going to lose an entire morning to it, I may as well collect data. The crescendo, so far, has never once resolved. Nobody has ever apologised for the number being wrong. And the actual human being who eventually answers is, without fail, perfectly pleasant, entirely unaware of what the automated system said to me forty minutes earlier, and utterly unable to explain why the timer does what it does. I've stopped asking. I've started simply logging the number and hanging on, on the grounds that whatever they eventually tell me will at least be data for a file I'm quietly keeping on the whole apparatus.
I've come to think the countdown timer is, in its own small dishonest way, a fairly accurate model of the pension conversation happening behind it — endlessly reassuring, permanently a few minutes from resolving, and never once required to actually say the number it's counting down to.
If you'd like the fuller story — what that particular call was actually about, and what it turned into once I compared notes on pension ages across three different countries — the whole piece is live now at The Old Grey Thinker on Substack: https://theoldgreythinker.substack.com/p/start-here
Want something more practical?
I’ve created a collection of guides for people who still believe life isn’t over just because the calendar says so. You’ll find them here:
https://greythinker.gumroad.com/
Tea remains the official fuel source of The Old Grey Thinker.
And if you’d simply like to support the writing, some readers buy me a
http://buymeacoffee.com/theoldgreythinker
It’s not mandatory. But neither is keeping the lights on.
Comments
Post a Comment