The Guilt of a Long Lunch, and Where It Actually Comes From

 


I had lunch alone yesterday — a café, a book, an hour and forty minutes, a second pot of tea I didn't need. Nobody required anything of me. A year into retirement, I still felt occasional guilt at a moment exactly like that one, as though enjoyment required justification.

The guilt, examined properly, turned out to be built almost entirely out of expectations I'd long since stopped needing to satisfy. There was no manager checking whether I'd earned the lunch. There was no ledger. I built the ledger myself, across forty-six years of genuinely necessary discipline, and I'm now the only person with the authority to close it.

What's helped isn't arguing with the guilt. It's finishing the second pot of tea anyway, slowly, on purpose, until the old reflex simply runs out of anything useful to say.

Want something more practical?

I’ve created a collection of guides for people who still believe life isn’t over just because the calendar says so. You’ll find them here:

The Library

And if you’d simply like to support the writing, some readers buy me a pot of Yorkshire Tea.

It’s not mandatory. But neither is keeping the lights on.

Tea remains the official fuel source of The Old Grey Thinker.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Become That Person Who Talks to Strangers—And It's Brilliant

I Can Read the Weather Off Water Nobody Sails On

My Grandad Was Absolutely Certain He Was Andy Capp