Retirement Gave Me Back My Curiosity-And Now I Can't Stop Asking Stupid Questions

 

I was standing in the cereal aisle of Tesco when I realised I’d become one of those people who reads the back of packets.

Not just the nutritional information-though that’s alarming enough when you discover your favourite granola contains more sugar than a chocolate éclair-but the actual ingredients list.

All of it. Including the bit about “may contain traces of nuts” on a bag of almonds, which struck me as the most honest disclaimer I’d ever encountered.

The bloke next to me was doing the same thing with a box of Weetabix.

We caught each other’s eye and shared that brief, embarrassed smile that says “Yes, we’re now the sort of people who have time for this nonsense.”

I bought the granola anyway.

This is what retirement’s done to me.

I’ve become professionally curious about things I never had the bandwidth to wonder about before. When you’re working, curiosity gets rationed. You’ve got just enough mental energy for the big stuff-navigating office politics, remembering passwords, pretending to understand what “synergy” means in meetings. The small questions get filed away in a drawer marked “Maybe When I Retire.”

Well, I’ve opened that drawer. Blimey, there’s some odd stuff in there.

Last week I spent twenty minutes wondering why we park on driveways and drive on parkways. Then I got sidetracked into why “flammable” and “inflammable” mean the same thing, which led me down a rabbit hole about fire safety regulations in the shipping industry, which I actually know quite a bit about, but had never questioned the linguistics of. I emerged an hour later with strong opinions about the inadequacy of the English language and a cold cup of tea.

My mate Jim says this is what happens when you give your brain too much free time. “It’s like a border collie,” he told me over a pint. “Needs a job or it starts herding the furniture.”

He might have a point.

I’ve caught myself asking questions that would’ve seemed insane six months ago.

Why do they call them apartments when they’re all stuck together?

If you get out of the shower clean, how does your towel get dirty?

Why is abbreviation such a long word?

The retired woman at the library-I’ve started going to the library, which is itself a retirement cliché I’ve embraced with surprising enthusiasm-has started recognising me.

Last visit I asked her if they had any books about the etymology of nautical terms. She looked at me with the weary patience of someone who’s been asked worse and directed me to the reference section.

I found what I was looking for, plus three other books I didn’t know I needed.

This is the retirement trap.

You go in for one thing and come out with an armload of curiosity you’ll never fully satisfy.

But here’s where it gets properly daft.

I’ve started keeping a notebook. Not for anything important-just questions. Stupid questions. The sort that pop into your head at three in the morning or while you’re waiting for the kettle to boil.

I thought I’d fill maybe a page or two.

I’m on my third notebook.

Some highlights:

Why do round pizzas come in square boxes?

If poison expires, is it more poisonous or less poisonous?

Why do we say “heads up” when we actually mean “duck”?

Can you cry underwater?

Why is it called a “building” when it’s already built-shouldn’t it be a “built”?

My personal favourite:

If you’re waiting for the waiter, aren’t you the waiter?

I showed this one to Jim.

He looked at me like I’d suggested we rob a bank.

“Mate,” he said, “you need a hobby.”

“This is my hobby,” I told him.

“A proper hobby. Woodworking. Golf. Anything that doesn’t involve philosophical queries about maritime terminology.”

But that’s the thing about retirement-you finally get to indulge the questions you never had permission to ask. When you’re working, asking “stupid” questions marks you as someone who’s not busy enough. You’re supposed to know things, or at least pretend to know them, or frantically Google them while nodding sagely.

Now? I can wonder about anything I like.

I can spend an entire morning investigating why British plugs are so much chunkier than European ones. (Safety regulations, mostly, but also a fascinating bit of post-war standardisation that I absolutely did not need to know but am now weirdly proud of understanding.)

I can read three books about the history of tea cultivation and bore absolutely nobody with the details because I’m not forcing them into a meeting room with a PowerPoint presentation.

I can ask the woman in the Post Office why they don’t sell stamps anymore-they do, but you have to know to ask, which seems deliberately obtuse-and actually wait for the answer instead of checking my phone.

The weird part is how satisfying it is.

Not the answers-half the time the answers are either “nobody really knows” or “it’s complicated” or “because of the French.”

It’s the asking that matters.

The permission to be curious about small things.

To waste time on questions that don’t advance your career or improve your productivity or add value to anything except your own slightly baffled wonder at the world.

I mentioned this to my cousin Sarah, who’s fifty-three and counting down to her own retirement with the intensity of a NASA launch sequence.

She looked at me with something approaching envy.

“You’re telling me you spend whole afternoons just… wondering about stuff?”

“Pretty much.”

“And nobody judges you?”

“Only Jim. But he judges everyone.”

She went quiet for a moment. “I can’t remember the last time I asked a question I didn’t need the answer to.”

That stuck with me.

How many years did I spend only asking necessary questions?

Purposeful questions.

Questions that led somewhere productive.

Questions with passage plans attached.

Now I ask questions that lead nowhere except to more questions, and it turns out that’s exactly where I want to go.

Tomorrow I’m planning to investigate why they call it a parkway when there’s no park, and a driveway when you park on it.

I know there won’t be a satisfying answer.

I don’t care.

I’ve got all the time in the world to wonder about it.

And that, it turns out, is the best bit of retirement nobody warns you about.

If you found value in this piece, I invite you to join The Old Grey Thinker newsletter — where I explore the hidden psychology of modern life and the art of staying curious.

For those who want to go deeper, I’ve created extended guides and resources at my Gumroad page — practical tools for thinking and creating in our fast-paced world.

If you’re not ready to subscribe but still want to support this work, you can always buy me a pot of tea. Every gesture of support means the world to me.

I appreciate every kindness — truly.

PS. Check out The Old Grey Thinker Library

I’m 67 and Just Realized I’ve Been Lied To About Retirement

90,000 readers and hundreds of comments. I read them all, digested them, and wrote a guide based on everything they told me. The piece that started it all.

The Identity Collapse No One Warns You About (Part 4: Your Marriage Wasn’t Built for This)

The retirement divorce spike nobody warns you about. What actually saves marriages when you’re both home all day-and what quietly destroys them.

The Invisibility Epidemic

Nobody warns you about the day the world stops seeing you. I thought I’d retired from work-but what really vanished was visibility.

The Emotional Hangover of a Life Half-Lived

Most hangovers have an obvious culprit. This one crept up slowly over decades. A quiet reckoning with the life you meant to live.

Unretirement: Why Millions Are Back at Work at 70

Last month, I ran into someone I used to work with at sea. Turns out, he’s back at work-and he’s not alone. Nobody’s talking about why.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Become That Person Who Talks to Strangers—And It's Brilliant

I Can Read the Weather Off Water Nobody Sails On

My Grandad Was Absolutely Certain He Was Andy Capp