I Thought the Hard Part of Retirement Was Letting Go. I Was Wrong.

 


I was standing in the kitchen yesterday morning, kettle boiling, staring at the counter where I'd laid out three different jars of coffee because I couldn't remember which one I'd opened first.

It's a small thing.

Ridiculous, really.

But I stood there longer than I should have, feeling the weight of not quite knowing which choice mattered and which didn't anymore.

That's when it occurred to me that I've been doing this with far larger things than coffee for months now.

Maybe longer.

For the longest time, I'd assumed the hardest part of stepping away from work would be the letting go. The job itself. The meetings, the inbox, the structure of being needed in a particular way at particular times. I'd braced for that loss. Expected the grief. Prepared myself for the moment when I'd wake up and realise no one was waiting for me to show up. And that grief did come, in its own way. But it wasn't the hardest part. Not even close.

The hardest part has been something I didn't expect and still struggle to name properly. It's the strange reluctance that arrives after you've understood what's happened. After you've stopped pretending the old life is coming back. After you've accepted that the rules have changed and you're not going back to who you were. Even then, there's this odd hesitation. Not fear, exactly. More like standing in a doorway too long. Half in, half out.

If this sounds familiar, what follows isn't about fixing the hesitation or naming what comes next. It's about understanding why standing at the edge can feel safer than stepping through, and what shifts when we finally stop hovering.

I recognise it in myself more than I'd like to admit. I know the old identity doesn't fit anymore. I know I'm not returning to that version of usefulness. I know pretending otherwise only keeps me stuck in a kind of performative waiting. And yet, some part of me still lingers at the edge. Not confused. Just undecided. Not lost. Just hovering.

No one really talks about this stage. We talk about the shock of retirement, the sudden absence, the boredom or invisibility that follows. We talk about reinvention, new projects, finding purpose. But we don't talk much about the after. The part where you're no longer confused about what's happened, just uncertain about how close you want to stand to it. The part where you've accepted the truth but haven't yet decided whether to inhabit it fully or keep it at arm's length.

What I've come to realise is that distance can feel like safety. If you stay just far enough back, you don't have to fully commit to who you're becoming. You can keep one foot in the old version of yourself. You can tell yourself you're just thinking things through, being sensible, taking your time. From the outside, it looks responsible. Thoughtful. Measured. Inside, it feels like a low-grade loneliness. A quiet withdrawal from your own life.

I did this for longer than I care to admit. I read things. I thought about things. I wrote about things. But I stayed just outside the frame. Close enough to observe, far enough to avoid being changed. It looked like engagement. It felt like hesitation.

There's a difference between understanding something and inhabiting it. Understanding happens in your head. You can grasp an idea, agree with it, even articulate it clearly to someone else. But inhabiting it means allowing it to rearrange how you move through your day. How you speak. How you decide what matters. It means choosing proximity over distance, even when proximity feels awkward or exposing.

I didn't notice when this writing crossed that line for me, but it did. At some point, I stopped writing about retirement and started writing from inside it. I stopped explaining myself quite so much. Stopped cushioning the edges. Trusted that the people reading knew exactly what I meant without being walked there step by step. That shift didn't come from confidence. It came from choosing not to hover anymore. From deciding to stand fully where I already was, even if I wasn't entirely sure what that meant yet.

What surprised me was how that choice changed the feel of everything. The writing slowed down. The thinking deepened. I wasn't performing clarity anymore. I was living with uncertainty and letting it speak. Some readers stayed quietly alongside. Others stepped closer. Neither response is wrong. But they are different experiences.

Staying on the edge means you can leave at any time. You don't have to carry much. You don't have to let the ideas rearrange anything too deeply. You can nod along, recognise yourself in the words, and keep moving. Stepping closer means the opposite. You read differently. You linger. You allow yourself to be affected. And that can feel risky at this age.

We've spent decades being competent, contained, useful. Allowing ourselves to need reflection, companionship, or shared thinking can feel indulgent, even faintly embarrassing. I think that's why so many people hover. Not because they don't care. But because caring costs something. Because proximity makes you vulnerable in a way distance doesn't.

What I'm learning, slowly, is that this part of life isn't asking us to reinvent ourselves. It's not demanding some grand transformation or heroic second act. It's asking us to choose where we stand. At arm's length, observing our own lives like something happening to someone else. Or closer in, where things are messier but more honest. Where the questions don't resolve neatly but the living feels truer.

I don't know exactly what the next version of me looks like yet. I'm still learning how to move at this pace. Still misplacing things. Still second-guessing myself more than I used to. Still standing in the kitchen too long wondering which jar of coffee to use. But I do know this: hovering is more tiring than committing. Standing in the doorway takes more energy than stepping into the room. And some of the best thinking I've done has only been possible once I stopped hovering and allowed myself to stand fully where I already was. Not because I'd figured it out. But because staying at the edge had started to feel lonelier than stepping in.

If you found value in this piece, I invite you to join The Old Grey Thinker newsletter — where I explore the hidden psychology of modern life and the art of staying curious.

For those who want to go deeper, I've created extended guides and resources at my Gumroad page — practical tools for thinking and creating in our fast-paced world.

If the writing helped, some readers buy me a Pot of Yorkshire Tea. I’m English and run my days on tea. It’s one of the ways I keep this work independent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Become That Person Who Talks to Strangers—And It's Brilliant

I Can Read the Weather Off Water Nobody Sails On

My Grandad Was Absolutely Certain He Was Andy Capp