Is Retirement Just a Slow March to the Sofa?

 

Is Retirement Just a Slow March to the Sofa?



Is Retirement Just a Slow March to the Sofa?

I’ve been retired for a month now. Thirty days. Roughly 720 hours. And so far, I’ve been asked precisely 38 times, “So… what are you going to do with your retirement?”
As if I’m about to unveil a new business empire. Or start competitive paddleboarding. Or take up naked pottery in Andalusia.
When I answer, “Nothing. I plan to vegetate slowly, then die,” people laugh nervously — unsure whether I’m joking or simply British.
But here’s the truth: retirement is not a TED Talk waiting to happen. It’s a slow, curious, occasionally sticky unfolding of time — like a toffee in a trouser pocket.

The Cult of Busyness

Modern society has weaponised productivity. You’re not allowed to just be anymore. If you’re not learning Mandarin, fostering rescue owls, or launching an organic soap brand from your shed, you’re seen as a failure.
Apparently, rest is only acceptable if it’s earned through burnout, and laziness is a sin unless you’re a cat.
When did “doing nothing” become morally inferior to “building a side hustle”? I spent 40 years working. I deserve the right to stare at a wall without being interrogated about my five-year vision board.

The Myth of the Reinvented Retiree

We’re sold a peculiar fantasy: that retirement is a second youth. A time to become a travel influencer or finally write that novel about time-travelling hedgehogs.
Now, I have nothing against reinvention. But not everyone wants to transform. Some of us are quite happy remaining grumpy, stationary, and mildly baffled by Bluetooth.
And yet, the pressure persists: rebrand yourself! Find your passion! Take up salsa!
I tried salsa once. Gave me a hernia and a deep distrust of Latin music.

The Lost Art of Mucking About

Remember mucking about? Pottering. Dabbling. Wandering into a room, forgetting why, then deciding to sit down because the chair looked lonely.
Mucking about has no outcome, no KPI, no monetisation funnel. It’s gloriously pointless. Which, if you ask me, is the point.
In my first month of retirement, I’ve become an enthusiastic mucker-abouter. I make elaborate breakfasts. I reorganise my shed based on vague seasonal themes. I’ve developed strong opinions about teabag strings. These are the unsung joys of a life unmeasured.

Neuroplasticity, My Old Friend

Here’s the kicker: doing less might actually help your brain do more. Neuroscientists now say our minds remain plastic (bendable, not Tupperware) into our 70s, 80s, and beyond — especially when we allow space for idleness, curiosity, and slow learning.
It turns out that a nap and a bit of boredom are better for cognitive health than a productivity app and a green smoothie.
Take that, Instagram Life Coaches.

A Note to Fellow Retirees

If you, like me, have no great desire to “make the most of every minute,” let me reassure you: you’re not broken, you’re just free.
Free from meetings, deadlines, and the tyranny of Outlook reminders.
You don’t need to launch anything. You don’t need to transform. You don’t need to post sunrise yoga photos unless you really want to. (And if you do — I will quietly judge you, but support your knees.)
Instead, take pleasure in the unnoticed: the good biscuit. The mid-morning sit. The memory that floats in uninvited, like an old friend who doesn’t knock.

In Conclusion (Because We’re Always Being Asked to Conclude)

Retirement isn’t a slow march to the sofa. It’s a chance to become fully, gloriously yourself, without the corporate badge or the pressure to impress LinkedIn.
And if that self is a grumpy old thinker with a fondness for Radio 4 and toast crumbs in his jumper — well, then. I say: embrace the sofa. Just make sure it’s comfy, well-worn, and slightly smells of old books.

🧓🏻 Like this? Mucking about is better with friends. Join the TOGT rebellion here: 👉 https://substack.com/@theoldgreythinker (Subscribe or I’ll come round and explain teabags to you in person.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Become That Person Who Talks to Strangers—And It's Brilliant

I Can Read the Weather Off Water Nobody Sails On

My Grandad Was Absolutely Certain He Was Andy Capp